LL-L "Anniversary" 2007.05.12 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun May 13 02:13:07 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 May 2007 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

I wrote:

> Pat, the other day you mentioned a project idea in an email message to
me.  I thought then that was a really great one, but to my shame I've
forgotten what it was.  Do you remember?

Hah!  And just now -- after I sent off Marcel's message, and probably
because of what he wrote -- it came back to me what Pat had mentioned to me
as a possible feature: a travel section!

Indeed! Indeed! I think that's a really terrific idea. Should this ever be
realized, I have you all remember it was Pat's idea.

Here are my immediate thoughts about it.

People will contribute what are essentially travel tips, and we could add
maps and pictures.  I would like there to be an emphasis on lesser-known,
lesser-promoted places.  For instance, everybody and their uncle visiting
the Netherlands sees Amsterdam and Delft, and we would put on the map
worth-while places off this beaten path.  Similarly, non-British tourists in
Scotland visit Edinburgh, Aberdeen and the Loch Ness area, perhaps Glasgow,
and I'm sure there are oodles of off-the-beaten-track places that would be
really interesting and very significant to visitors of the Lowlandic
persuasion.  Overseas visitors routinely bypass Northern Germany (besides
Berlin), yet there is so much to be seen and experienced there!  And even in
the large centers, such as Amsterdam, Antwerp, Edinburgh, London and
Hamburg, there are significant places that hardly any tourist sees.  And
then there are all the places and hang-outs in which the visitor with a
linguistic leaning is likely to actually encounter real speakers of the
original language varieties.  And it needn't be limited to Europe.  There
could be information about great places at which to get immersed in
Afrikaans, or true Ocker English, or Appalachian.

Anyway, let's think about this!