LL-L "Grammar" 2007.05.18 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri May 18 21:35:11 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 May 2007 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Folks,

Most of you probably remember our discussions about Modern Jutish, though
belonging to the North Germanic (Scandinavian) group, has more or less
striking West Germanic (probably Lowlandic) characteristics, most likely due
to contacts with Low Saxon.

However, there seems to be a twist to this in that some North Frisian
varieties are very similar with regard to the (un-Scandinavian) preposed
definite article, as seen in the example table I posted with the
introduction to Fering Frisian ( lowlands-l.net/anniversary/jysk-info.php):

English

the wren

the corner

the father

the house

W. Frisian

it winterkeninkje

de hoeke

de heit

it hûs

Dutch

het winterkoninkje

de hoek

de vader

het huis

Afrikaans

die bostintinkie

die draai

die pappa

die huis

Low Saxon

de Tuunkrüper

de Eck/Huuk

de Vadder

dat Huus

Fering Frisian

a wonterköning

a huk

a aatj

a hüs

S. Jutish

æ gæresmut'

æ hjørn

æ far

æ hus

W. Jutish

æ gærresmutte

å hjørn

æ fær

å hus

Danish

gærdesmutten

hjørnet

faderen

huset

Norwegian

gjerdesmett en

hjørnet

faderen

huset

Swedish

gärdsmyg en

hörn et

fader n

huset

Faeroese

mortítlingur in

horn ið

faðir in

húsið

Icelandic

músarindill inn

horn ið

faðir inn

húsið

Old Norse

*mūsarindillinn

horn it

faðir inn

hūsit

If you compare Fering with Westerlauwer (West) Frisian you are tempted to
conclude that in Fering Frisian we are dealing with Jutish influences.  Or
is it a case of Frisian influences on (or substrates in) Jutish?

The variety of Amrum has at for neuter nouns and a for all other nouns.

The variety of Sylt has dit for neutral and di for other nouns.

Mainland North Frisian generally distinguishes three genders, however:
masculine di, feminine jü and neuter dåt (the last of which may have well
come from Low Saxon).

It is generally said that the North Frisian varieties are strongly
influenced by "Danish."  The northernmost insular ones (which are the older
ones in the region) appear to be more tightly interwoven with Jutish.

Any thoughts and insights, anyone?