LL-L "Etymology" 2007.05.20 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun May 20 18:56:28 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.05.18 (04) [E]

Re: The current thread on "Hooks" and related words; I have a couple of
flyers to fly:
1. The "Ecke" word doesn't seem to have an English relative, unlike "hoek"
etc;  By phonetic change I'd expect something like "etch", but that of
course means something else entirely. "Edge" might just seem to be related,
I'm not sure.
2. What about the Angles? Both the relatives of the Saxons, and the
corners?  I understand that the tribe (and thus ultimately the name of my
country and language) may relate to their original homeland in the "Angle",
the sharp coastline change along the Baltic at the Danish/German border
region. Others suggest a weapon, a barbed spear of some kind, in the way
that Saxons were named for their "seaxes" or knives and Fanks for the
"Fancisca," a throwing axe.
Of course, "angling", i.e. fishing with hooks as opposed to nets, is also
connected.  But are there any "angles" or related words in other Lowlands,
or indeed Germanic languages?

Paul Finlow-Bates

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.05.19 (01) [E]

Hi Jonny and Ron,

I'm taking a flyer but suspect that Huuk and Eck (meaning corner Afrikaans:
hoek) are

closely related but that huuk (crouch, Afrikaans hurk) comes from a
different root.

Now to find evidence.