LL-L "Travel" 2007.05.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat May 26 17:39:55 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Travel" 2007.05.25 (04) [E]

> "Touristic Guidings for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Lowlands: Make
> Sexy
> Time!"
>
> Greetz,
>
> Luc Hellinckx
> ----------

Yes, a good one, but seriously, what about:

The Lowlands Navigator

or

The Lowlands Navigation System

or

The Lowlands Pilot

with an automotive navigation system box

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_navigation_system)

as an icon to open a map where all the described placed can be started by a
click?

> But can he come up with a Lowlands anthem in true Borat style?*

Also seriously, what about "The Lowlands Rover" as a lowlands anthem or
simply the lowlands song?

I know, this song is a bit burdened in Germany because of "An der
Nordseeküste, am plattdeutschen Strand sind die Fische am Wasser und selten
an Land"

The original lyrics are:

members.aol.com/bcchsjihad/wdrover.html

We could change it or create new lyrics.

The negation in the chorus is quite unique:

And it's no, nay, never
No nay never no more
Will I play the Wild Rover
No never, no more.

(I know negation was a thread before, so sorry if I'm reinventing the
wheel.)

Greetings,
Karl-Heinz

----------

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>

Korrektur: es soll natürlich heißen "all the described placeS" anstelle
"...placeD".

Vielleicht kannst du das korrigieren, Ron?

Karl-Heinz

----------

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>

supplement:

I think the lyrics of the "Wild rover"

http://members.aol.com/bcchsjihad/wdrover.html

are quite good, but for an anthem the meaning of the lyrics should be more
or less reversed, nicht wahr?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travel

Thanks, Karl-Heinz!

"Lowlands Navigation System"? Are you kidding me? ;-) Interesting to see our
honorary Lowlander from the very highlands being stuck on the
Waterkantaspect of the Lowlands. You'd better not let the lady under
the
Ulenflucht find out about that, kiddo!

I'm getting an awful lot of suggestions and few votes. Where the the votes? I
want votes, darn it!

This is what we have now, pitiful as it is:

Lowlands-L* By-Ways: 1*
Lowlands-L* Journeys: 2*
Lowlands-L* Meanderings: *0*
*Lowlands-L* Navigator: *0*
*Lowlands-L* Pilot: *0
Lowlands-L* Places: 1*
Lowlands-L* Rambler: 1*
Lowlands-L* Ramblings: 1*
Lowlands-L* Roaming: 1*
Lowlands-L* Rover: *0
Lowlands-L* Travel Bug: *0
Lowlands-L* Travels: 3*
Lowlands-L* Wanderings: 1*

A whopping 11 votes so far. Wow! I'm in awe ... NOT!
(This was another, more subtle and thus rather more elegant piece of homage
to our Borat, Luc, if you didn't notice it yourself)

And stealing an "anthem" from Ireland? What next? Go to Austria's highest
heights and rip off "Auf d'Wulda, auf d'Wulda, da scheint d'Sunn a so
gulda," "Der Weg zu mein Dirndl is stoanig," "Di-ri-ti ria ha-ho, wal's grad
so gmüatlich is da" or "In die Berg bin i gern"?   With all them po'wits and
kimposers on board? I think we can do better, though I'd hate to see
anything that would be power to the cause of those in Germany that have
categorized us as nationalistic weirdos without knowing the first thing
about us (dealing with "Germanic" across borders ... See?).

Talking about songs ... I'll soon be off to the Folk Life Festival here in
Seattle, the largest free-entry folk music festival in North America,
running from Friday noon till Monday night every Memorial Day weekend.
Maybe I'll run into a couple of you folks. Not that I would know, mind you.