LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.27 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun May 27 17:58:25 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 May 2007 - Volume 03

From: "Margaret Tarbet <oneko at att.net>"
Subject: LL-L "Songs"

Ron asked, incredulously:

> So "The Wild Rover" is not Irish?  Everyone and their uncle claims it is.
> Don't make me eat crow or whatever!

Nah, it's probably English.  The Irish love it, but, like 'The Banks of the
Roses', it's got a definite Sassenach flavor to it.  I'm reasonably sure
even Mick Moloney agrees, though I can't at the moment find a cite for that.

You needn't go through with the crow-eating, though--both you and the crow
will be happier if you don't! :-)

Margaret

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Thanks, Margaret!  I half hoped you'd be enticed out of the woodwork with
this one.

I probably wasn't alone in my incredulity.  When you google for "Wild
Rover," as I did just now, you'll find it categorized as "Irish." It doesn't
help that it's a staple in "Irish" pubs all over the world.

This is what the Wikipedia says:

According to Professor T.M. Devine in his book "The Scottish Nation 1700 -
2000" (Penguin, 2001) the song was written as a
temperance<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_%28virtue%29>song.
[1]<http://www.ias.org.uk/resources/publications/alcoholalert/alert200001/al200001_p20.html>This
would place it no earlier than 1829.
[2] <http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/airgli/airgli0128.htm>. The song is found
printed in a book "The American Songster", printed in the USA by W.A. Leary
in 1845, so if it did originate in Scotland, it spread very quickly to
America. There is another USA printed version in the "Forget-Me-Not
songster" (c 1850), published by Locke. an alternative history is the song
is suggested by the fact that a collection of ballads, dated between 1813
and 1838 is held in the Bodleian
Library<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodleian_Library>.
The printer, Catnach, was based in "7 Dials", London. The Bodleian bundle
contains "The Wild Rover"
[3]<http://bodley24.bodley.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/acwwweng/regsrch.pl?recnums=991:5269:11338:19833:27516:27524:27527:39116:40971:40973:44197&index=1&db=ballads>.
The Greig-Duncan collection contains no less that 6 versions of the song. It
was compiled by Gavin Greig <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Greig> 1848
- 1917.

It is often considered to be a drinking
song<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_song>rather than a
Temperance song. It has become very popular in
Scotland <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland> and
England<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England>.
In Britain <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK>, the song is especially popular
with sport fans and has been adopted as the basis for many football
chants<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_chants>.
The song is a staple for artists performing live music in Irish
pubs<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_house>
.
Now that I read this, it makes sense, as does the characterization of its
feel as "Sassenach."

Thanks again!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: I can't help seeing you as the Grand Dame of the LL-L song contest. If
you declined or decided to enter it yourself we'd have to go to Plan B. ;-)