LL-L "Etymology" 2007.05.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon May 28 19:54:06 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  28 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

Beste Reinhard,

though you seem just to be travelling around at the moment I'd like to come
back to a thread of the last week, concerning the word *'letterye'*.

Yesterday I happened to meet our local pastor- a well educated man
interested in Low Saxon matters.
I told him about the *'Ten Commandments of Wolfenbuettel'* in which this
word appears. He didn't know them but he said he had seen similar
scripts containig the word 'le/_s_/terye' or 'le/_s_/tereye', of course
meaning G: 'Lästerung', E: 'sacrilege', but never 'le/_t_/terye'
He went on and told about the fact that often during transcribing old textes
which have combinations of '_st_' they become written wrongly as '_tt_', and
I suddenly remembered an old discussion we had had here on the list dealing
with the same problem.

So, this might be the end of all our speculations about Middle Saxon folks
throwing wooden letters to make any oracle.
It's too bad about this nice word, but with these doubts in my mind I don't
any longer have the heart to 're-animate' it ;-(!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm