LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.05.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue May 29 20:28:21 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  29 May 2007 - Volume 03

From: Soenke Dibbern <s_dibbern at web.de>
Subject: dood blieven [LS/Scandinavian]

Dear Lowlanders,

the Low Saxon speaking among you will know the expression 'dood blieven'
(to die, "to remain dead"). I always wondered how this came into the
language. 'blieven' is normally used alike to German 'bleiben' (stay,
remain). I know that (modern) Danish has 'blive' in the sense of 'to
become'. So is this a scandinavism? I just know this one example for the
usage of 'blieven' for 'get, become' in LS. Are there others? If it was a
scandinavism, I would expect other examples for the changed meaning. If
not, where does it come from?

Do the other Lowlands Languages have cognates with the meaning of 'get,
become'?

Kind regards,
Sönke

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Hi, Sönke!

It's sure nice to hear from you.  I believe this is your debut. So, welcome!

Your question is one I've wanted to ask about for a long time.  Great to see
you beat me to it.