LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.31 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:18:32 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  31 May 2007 - Volume 03

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.29 (02) [E]

Ron, you wrote
> (If I remember correctly, it's were the Star
> Club was in which the Beetles started their career.)

The Beatles' first studio recording where done in Hamburg featering Tony
Sheridan and Bert Kaempfert as a producer (btw another ae, but this is
definitely alternatively for a Umlaut ä, not a Dehnungs e, as it's a
[high-]german name and was changed by Kaempfert himself, see:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Kaempfert).

The Beatles had to change their name into Beat-Brothers according to English
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Sheridan :

" ... The word "Beatles" was judged to sound too similar to the German
"Pidels" (pronounce peedles), the plural of a slang term for penis, hence
the album was credited to "Tony Sheridan and The Beat Brothers"..."

Is this translation/interpretation of "Pidel/Pidel" correct, because the
German wiki doesn't mention this.

Greetings,
Karl-Heinz