LL-L "Traditions" 2007.05.31 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:17:11 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  31 May 2007 - Volume 02

From: "Utz H. Woltmann" <uwoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.05.30 (03) [E]

Kevin wrote:

I don't know about the Lowlands specifically, but in the
English-speaking world there is the nursery rhyme that children chant to
ladybirds/ladybugs (usually only the first line, or perhaps the first
two lines)

I have found a nursery rhyme in Low Saxon:

Sünnenkind, fleeg op,
fleeg no´n hoogen Himmel rop.
Bring mi´n Sack vull Zuckerkringeln,
mi een, di een - anner Kinner gor keen.

Plattdeutsche Kinderreime, Herausgeber: Joachim Schmidt, Hinstorff
Bökerie 8, VEB Hinstorff Verlag Rostock 1968, 4. Auflage 1983, Seite 50

My translation:

Ladybird, take off,
take to the high skies.
Bring me along a bag packed with sugar rings,
one for me, one for you - for the other children none.

Best regards
Utz H. Woltmann