Fwd: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.11.05 (02) [E]

Mon Nov 5 15:56:37 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 November 2007 - Volume 02

From: wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.11.04 (04) [A]

Hi!

Schor ( skor) Means I think your voice feels like it has been sand dusted
with sand paper

Schuren, (to sandpaper a piece of wood),

Wim [Verdoold]

wkv at home.nl

Zwolle nederland

-----------

From: Jaap Liek <ir.j.liek at gmail.com >
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.11.03 (03) [E]

> From: Ted < tedshore at sympatico.ca >
> Subject: origin of 'Schore"
>
> Johannes de Schore is listed as living near the west cost of England
> in Lincolnshire.   I am interested in any insight into the origins of
> Schore.  I am not a linguist, but I have found the following
> information from various sources, and I'd appreciate any comments on
> the validity of what I have gathered:
>
> A Schorre is a contemporary Dutch word, meaning 'areas of brackish,
> shallow water usually found in coastal areas and in deltas. There are
> also inland marshes in arid areas where the water has a high salt
> level because of evaporation.'  From another source, a 'Schorre' is
> described as a Dutch word that refers to that part of a salt marsh
> covered by high tides.  'Schore' is an example of a Low Saxon
> loanword.  It is one of several words from the areas of shipping and
> trading which seem to be from the Middle Low Saxon language of the
> Hanseatic Trading League days. The Hanseatic League was an alliance of
> trading guilds that established and maintained a trade monopoly over
> the Baltic Sea, to a certain extent the North Sea, and most of
> Northern Europe for a time in the Late Middle Ages and the early
> modern period, between the 13th and 17th centuries. The dominant
> language of trade was Mittelniederdeutsch (Middle Low German), a
> dialect with significant impact for countries involved in the trade,
> particularly the larger Scandinavian languages. Middle Low Saxon and
> Middle Dutch have many identical words, the separation between the two
> languages was not as clear at the time as it is now, and the British
> Isles had trading links with both Dutch/Flemish and Hanseatic traders
> and artisans.  This means that some loanwords in English could be from
> either Dutch or Low Saxon origin.  "shore" (suspected < _schore_'?',
> cf. Modern Low Saxon _Schaar(t)_ ~ _Schor(t)_ 'coast', 'coastal
> land','cliff', 'bluff').
>
> Thanks very much Lowlanders,
>
> Ted Shore

 In Zeelandic and Flemish, schor is an intertidal area that only some
times a month is flooded (around full and dark moon).

Slik, another intertidal area is flooded every day and is situated
between lowtide and hightide.(In the north slikken are wadden)
It is interesting that schorre and slikke also are used in French.

In the dutch provinces Noord Brabant and Zuid Holland schor is named:
gors. In the north of Netherland the same area has the name kwelder.

An inlet in these intertidal area's is here in Zeeland called a kreek /
kreke (E:creek). In the north it's a priel.

Regards
Jakob(Jaap)
--
Jaap Liek <ir.j.liek at gmail.com >

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Ah, Wim! You may have nailed it. Ever since Elsie asked her question about
Afrikaans skor I've been twisting and wring my little brain and was still
mystified.

If your hypothesis is correct, then this is a cognate of the following, all
with the meaning 'to scour', 'to rub hard in order to clean or shine':

Modern Low Saxon: *schuyrn* (schüürn, *schüern* )
Middle Saxon: *schûren*
Modern Dutch: *schuren*, * schuieren*
Middle Dutch: *schûren*
Modern German: *scheuern * (< MS?)
Modern English:* *to scour (< MD/MS?)
Middle English: *scoure*, *scowre* , *skoure*
Danish:* skure* (< MS?)
Middle Swedish: *skura* (< MS?)

The people of the *Oxford English Dictionary* suspect that Middle Dutch
and/or Middle Saxon developed *schûren *from Old French *escurer* (> Modern
French *écurer*), probably from Vulgar Latin * excurare* (> Medieval *escurare,
scurare*), based on *cura* 'care' which in Medieval Latin also came to mean
'to clean'.

I would have made the leap if the word had been **skuur *or **skuir *in
Afrikaans.

Jaap, in Low Saxon of Germany, *slik* (*Slick*) means 'mud', 'silt',
'slime', also 'mudflat'; same for German *Schlick* (< Low Saxon?, for
otherwise I'd expect ** Schlich*). These are related to English "slick" and
"sleek".