LL-L "List communication" 2007.11.08 (02) [E]

Thu Nov 8 15:18:13 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  08 November 2007 - Volume 02

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "List communication" 2007.11.07 (03) [E]

In message
<57c981290711071110j29d86d8fy9d0f7677eed9ef1f at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM> (i.e. Peter Snepvangers writes
> Please try to list in english also as we are not all as gifted as all
>you folks on the list and we do need to make the list as accesible as
>possible.

I don't mind it ... this is why (just my thoughts).

 I belong to three lists which operate in multiple languages.

The first is run by a body affiliated to UNESCO.  Everything official
has to be in both English and French (they alternate which comes first),
although posting in Spanish and Russian are both allowed.  Very
occasionally there is an official positing in Spanish (e.g. for a
Spanish-language conference), with obligatory translations  into English
and French.   There is very little discussion on the list, but when
there is, it is almost always in English. Very, very occasionally, there
is a comment or two in French.

The second list is run by a group of archaeologists who are very pro
indigenous rights.  Almost every post is in English, but a fair number
are in Spanish, and a very few in French.  Threads stick to their
language, in almost every case (the exceptions being very brief English
posts asking for translation so they can join in on political
campaigns).

All lists want to be inclusive, and accessible.  But oddly, I think that
the way people post to lowlands-l in different languages makes it more
accessible than either of the others (and more accessible than
English-only lists). This is because it is far easier to read in an
additional language than it is to write, so we include people who
(think) their English isn't good enough,  Of course, if someone replies
to a post, or starts a discussion in a language that I don't understand,
things don't move forward as easily as they should.  But I find
conversations often come around back into English. And in the meantime,
I like reading things I don't understand, in idle moments.  In not-idle
moments, I delete, unread, things without E in the subject line
(although I admit I didn't recognise this useful tag for too long!)

Cheers,

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
        ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).