LL-L "Etymology" 2007.11.08 (03) [E]

Thu Nov 8 15:16:33 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  08 November 2007 - Volume 01

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.11.07 (01) [A/E]

 it's very interesting to go to the roots of the word-family around
'skar-skor-shore-schaar'.
Johnny, could this be the origin of the surname Skarsted?
Ben

---------

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Genealogy" 2007.11.06 (04) [D/E]

*Subject:* LL-L "Genealogy"

There is another term that might contribute to this string, 'shire' & its
remote cognate in Afrikaans 'skêr' = scissors & 'skeer' = shave. Shire
origionally meant a 'division' of the kingdom, a 'department' I suppose the
French would say. A Sherriff took the rents of the shire, was in fact the
'scire geriva' = shire provisioner (practically all taxes in those days were
food-rent). I can see the structure 'sk-vowel-r' deriving from & giving
meaning to the convolutions of the terms 'divider' or 'separator'.
'Geriewe' = provisions in Afrikaans.

(Ted says) There seems to be divergence from 'Schore' as related to shore,
body of water, etc.  and 'Score', 'Scora' which seems to be related to
scoring of a surface, and the sandpaper references 'Skor'.   Is it the
difference between the soft and hard - 'sh' verses 'sk'.  different words =
different meanings?

By the way, 'van Schoor' is a respected family in South Africa also.

Yrs,
Mark