LL-L "Resources" 2007.11.11 (02) [E]

Sun Nov 11 17:30:53 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  11 November 2007 - Volume 02

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.11.10 (08) [E/German]

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.11.10 (03) [E]
>
> > From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Language varieties
> >
> > Moin, Heiko!
<snip>
> As an aside, on a recent weekend in Jersey (not New Jersey!) I was a bit
> surprised at the way signage was handled. Street and road names were
> either in French or English, but not both. Occasionally a street would
> have a sign in both French and English - but only because the name of
> the street was completely different in French from in English, ie the
> signage wasn't a translation.
>
> It seems to me that streets were signed as whatever people actually
> called them, and this is normally either French or English, but not
> both?
>
> I only saw one example of signage in Jersey French, which was the
> "Welcome to Jersey" sign etched on the class door at the boat terminal
> in St Helier. There was no accompanying English or French.
>
> Unfortunately none of the Local Interest sections of Jersey bookshops
> seemed to have anything in or about Jersey French.

There's only one book I've seen about the Channel Islands' French; the
dialect
is Norman French (The Channel Islands being the only part of the Duchy of
Normandy still under the English Crown's control after the Hundred Years
War.), and the book lamented to some degree that it was not as widely spoken
as it used to be.  Sadly I don't have the book, and can't recall its name.
I'll try to dig it up.

FWIW ;)

Wesley Parish

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

I have a Jersey French wren story translation someone made and someone else
sent me, but the translator doesn't respond when asked if we could display
it. How sad is *that*?