LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.11.11 (03) [E]

Sun Nov 11 18:05:55 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  11 November 2007 - Volume 03

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.11.10 (02) [E]

Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com> sked:
> Ok whoa! That was cool Mike! Was that Tok Pissin or Bicilama?

Neither actually, but rather Hawaiian Creole English (aka Pigin, aka
Da Kine) ... or rather My extremely rusty HCE.

Although born on the mainland to mainland parents (I mentioned my
almost-Apalachian mother), I actaully learned to talk (and to NOT wear
shoes) in Hawaii (as I mentioned, on the Pearl City side of the Oahu),
with HCE-speaking neighborhood kids. Much later, after many years o
the mainland, I met (in Nepal) and eventually married (in California)
my wife, who was born on Maui (but left at age 7 to spend the rest of
her childhood in Alaska where she was, being Japanese-American, often
mistaken for an "Eskimo", so she has no HCE infleunces other than some
HCE vocabulary items, which she long thought were Japanese, as her
grandmother spoke NO Standrad English, but only Japanese and HCE ...
and usually a 80:20 mix .., and her mother and eldest sister, both
long-time California residents, speak Standard English but with
noticable HCE accents), and we retunred to the Isles for a time where
our son (whose middle name is Makani "Big Wind") was born (almost on
Maui like his mom, but actually on Oahu thanks to a shift in the
approaching Typhoon -- hence his name).

While I never claim to be an HCE speaker (at least NOT since the age
of 4 or so), HCE is one of the many linguistic linputs into MY
language identity ... and one of which I am VERY proud!

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक

================

Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India

++++++++++++++++

माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )

++++++++++++++++

茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Howzit, Mike, brah, an mahalo!

I thought I'd casually mention -- and your mind might be inquiring enough to
want to know -- that I have long had fantasies about a Da Kine Wren -- let's
call him "Da Wren" or "Da Manu Mākūhikuhi" for now. Jalike?

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/