LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.12 (01) [E]

Mon Nov 12 17:54:01 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 November 2007 - Volume 01

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.11 (06) [E]

R/R wrote:
> Of course, it brings to mind -s in Latvian men's names (e.g., Filips,
> Fritsis, Gabriels, Jazeps, Juris, Kristaps, Ludvigs, Mihails, Mikelis,
> Pavils, Rihards, Toms, Vilhelms, Vilis). However, this is the equivalent
of
> Lithuanian -as, -is and -us (Ąžuolas, Juozapas, Virtautas, Jurgis, Herkus)
> which appears to be related to (though not derived from) Greek -os and
Latin
> -us. I hardly think this could develop into a suffix that expresses
> affection.

Yes, Latvian -s and Lithuanian -(V)s are simple the reflexes of the
Indo-European masculine singular nominative case ending. Both
langauges have a separate vocative ending (though NOT in the plural,
nor in the 2nd declension -- the most common feminine type). BUT in
modern converstaional usage the nominative is often found in place of
the vocative (OR, like Slavic Russian which long ago lost its vocative
case, in Latvian anyway, a NEW vocative, equal to the stem without ANY
ending, is found.)

Whether there has been enough Baltic language influence on (American)
English for this to be a plausible "source" of the English
affectionate diminutives or not is a real question though.

On a more speculative level, I would propose that we perhaps have here
a PLURAL, though this goes AGAINST what we usually see of the plural
being coopted into expressing a POLITE singular (tu vs vous, thou vs
you, ты vs Вы, etc). Perhaps the truncated stem (Bab < Barbara) was
seen as TOO familiar and so a POLITE plural ending was addedd (Bab+s >
Babs)? PURE specualtion on my part (and the only real-language
analogous example I have of a plural being used as an affectionate
dimiutive is RUSSIAN, where ALL male diminutives have a feminine
ending (viz my name below) ... which was in (proto)-Indo-European the
collective plural ending.

--
MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक

================

Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India

++++++++++++++++

माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )

++++++++++++++++

茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: karlrein at aol.com

It occurs to me that Pops --  one's father, or addressing an older man --
was common in New York City at least sixty years ago.  So I have always
associated 'Phoebs' <?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu#116345af67ec7a72_> in
Friends as a New York phenomenon, despite
Babs<?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu#116345af67ec7a72_>and the like.
But reading your discussion, it suddenly dawned on me that
there was Moms Mabley <?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu#116345af67ec7a72_>, who
died years ago, already elderly.  For the younger readers,  may I explain
that she was a lovable nightclub entertainer known for her foul language.

Karl [Reinhardt]

From: R. F <?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu#116345af67ec7a72_>. Hahn <
sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

[snip]

The other day I caught myself addressing my friend Jake as
"Jakes<?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu#116345af67ec7a72_>."
It was quite spontaneous, not at all planned. I believe it was an expression
of what I would call "casual affection." There was no noticeable reaction on
Jake's part, so I assume it was at least acceptable to him (unless he was
being overly generous).

...Reinhard <?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ymdfwq781tpu#116345af67ec7a72_>/Ron

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.11 (07) [E]

diederik has a long i, but in didi it's short (thus dids)
don't confuse it with the cartoon figure Deedee;) (dexter's lab)