LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.13 (01) [E]

Tue Nov 13 16:18:39 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  13 November 2007 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.12 (08) [E]

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net >
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.12 (01) [E]

I'm not convinced this –s is an American thing. Don't the British refer to
Prince William as Wills? I've never heard anyone in the US call a William
"Wills". I am familiar with Babs and Pops, though.

And of course football (soccer to Americans) star David Beckham is usually
"Becks" to the media. The "-s" form is pretty common in England at least,
though there seems to be no rule as to how or when it seems "right". Soccer
star Wayne Rooney is "Roo", not "Roons" or "Waynes" for example.  I suppose
somebody just uses a form, and it sticks, or it doesn't.

Paul Finlow-Bates