LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.16 (02) [E]

Fri Nov 16 18:45:33 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  16 November 2007 - Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.15 (04) [E]

Jonny Meibohm schreef:

I guess your information is from the English wikipedia- but I fear that's
wrong. There are, for my knowledge, no German phrases like 'braun buss' or
'brawn buss'- the only correct German word here just is 'braun'. Perhaps
the authors of that article mixed it up with the famous 'Browning'-guns,
which indeeed are very famous in Germany.

I know that in Dutch, a "bus" [b2s], which normally means a box, can
mean "gun" too, as in "donderbus" = blunderbuss. "Buks" [b2ks] is a rifle,
but the -ks in this word says it's probably a loan word, maybe from High
German or Frisian or English? Anyway, I think that this English "buss" may
be rather from Dutch than from German. Or maybe from Low Saxon, if that
has something like "büss" as well?

Ingmar

Rein schreef:

That's kind of nice in that it sounds rather familiar, something we would
say in Northern Germany. We used to call and sometimes still do call my
(much younger) brother (Michael ['miCa?El]) "Michimann" (['miCiman]).

Rein, was Michael really pronounced ["miCa?El], as you wrote about your
brother's name, or ["mixa?El] with [x] instead of [C] before "a". I'd
expect the latter but maybe it was a regional prono, or derived from
["miCi] ?

Groetz
Ingmar

----------

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.11.15 (01) [E]

Hi all,

Ron, well there you have it; Joker meets Naïveté :-)

I am the last to dispute the many possible ways words
are formed although I did realize after sending off
the note that cutefy is more correct than cutify.

So where does the word cute come from?

Another question about the Elizabeth>Beth/Betsy/Bessy:
Are certain language groups more inclined to shorten the front
end of the name [Eliza/Elsie/Elsje/Elschen /Elske/Els] or the middle
part [Liza/Lisa/Liz] and other groups the end syllables?

Elsie Zinsser

Kevin, I think you're right about Bessy. It's interesting, too: supposedly
Beth > Beths > Bess > Bessy.

Else, I was just kidding about those terms. Sorry I didn't make that
clearer.