LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.02 (10) [E]

Tue Oct 2 19:51:01 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  02 October 2007 - Volume 10

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.02 (01) [D/E]

> From:  "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.01 (10) [E]
>
> What do Lowlanders 'see' in their mind's eye when they hear " None of
> the men ... wearing hats ( or a hat). Do you see one man without a hat
> or several men without hats?

What do you mean by the ellipsis?

> 'None of the men were wearing hats/ a hat' seems much more logical
> visually speaking.

I'd say the semantics of living languages involves logic, common sense,
context and idiom, not just logic. A common way of making dialects or
minority languages seem inferior to language in the form in which it's
taught in schools is by trying to point out where dialects are less
logical, as if that matters.

Consider a line from Burns's song, "My Nannie's Awa":

"And listens the lambies that bleat ower the braes."

Logically this means that the lambs are listening, but in fact, taking
the context into account, it means that you can hear the lambs if you
listen.

Similarly "herken" (harken) in Scots can be used to mean either "listen
carefully" or "whisper".

There are other kinds of inverted logic in living language that are
clear because the "logical" meaning would make no sense, eg, "There you
go with your trousers all hanging out," or "If I could of Jove's nectar
sup, I would not trade for thine."

All sorts of ambiguity is also acceptable if the context makes it clear,
"Let's go and see the monkeys, they've got gorillas," or "You smell."

And with idiom logic tends to go right out the window: "Poor soul,"
"I'll teach you to steal my flowers," "I nearly split my sides
laughing," "It's a big if."

> What does BSL do, Sandy, to express the same idea?

"Everybody, hat none."

Though personally I'd be more likely to say, "All your hat are belong to
us!"  :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/