LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.05 (03) [E]

Fri Oct 5 17:02:23 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 October 2007 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Gabriele elucidated the matter further:

The very thought of foreigners travelling here to rally for what they
perceive as "our" cause in Kiel or Hannover is absurd at best (thanks for
offering, though, Mike and others, I know you meant well).

And the elected and appointed delegates? What are they? Chopped liver from
abroad?

There are always alternative ways of viewing matters like this. For the heck
of it, let me offer one or two.

As far as I know, Mike, like me, is from the area and shares the same
heritage. The fact that he lives abroad does not change this. Cultural and
linguistic heritage is not abandoned or forfeited with emigration, no matter
how some may wish it were when "apostates" dare to touch the status quo back
home. Playing the "disowning" card may seem easy and convenient, but the
rules of the game have changed.

Not only have things changed locally; they have changed internationally as
well. These days anyone can be informed in great detail about just about
anything anywhere in the world. "You're not here; so you don't know" belongs
to the past, as do assumptions about other people's levels of contacts and
knowledge. Borders mean less and less as everything has come to be closely
connected and people are being dispersed all over the world yet closely
connected thanks to dramatic advances in information and transportation
technology. Furthermore, "It's ours alone" and "It's our internal matter"
are no longer relevant and are internationally perceived as saying "We can
do whatever we want." (Who said it last? Oh, yes! The Burmese military
junta!)

As far as I know, Sandy and Tom have as much stock in Scots and rights to
argue about it as do those Scots that are still in Scotland, and the same
applies to Jacqueline and Gustaaf with regard to Dutch, to cite just a
couple of examples.

Low Saxon is spoken all over the world, not only in Northern Germany. The
international community of speakers and heirs has a stake in what happens to
it anywhere. No!  People in other countries can't demand budgetary and
educational changes of the federal and state governments in Germany, but
they can advocate them and appeal for them, and they have every right to
spar with the naysayers of which Northern Germany has more than its fair
share. After all, decisions made in Germany, where the largest portion of
speakers lives, impacts the future of the language as a whole.

As I said, I'm offering this as an alternative, internationalistic,
inclusionistic argument aimed at counterbalancing localistic, exclusionistic
and dismissive arguments.

By the way, have arts, sports, history, and local history and culture been
stricken from North German school curricula? If things are so dire, why not
get rid of those as well if they're still around. Who needs to know about
the past anyway?