LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.05 (02) [E]

Fri Oct 5 16:08:58 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 October 2007 - Volume 02

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.05 (01) [E]

Jonny wrote:
> Low Saxon as a luxury good: yes. But Low Saxon in rivalry to vital
necessities: no!

Finally a voice of reason! Coincidentally, the voice of someone who actually
lives in the area and has a realistic view of what is going on.

Times are changing; our language and our people are not toys, however quaint
they may be perceived from the outside. Any efforts to keep Lower Saxon
alive must come from within, from the actual speakers, their families and
neighbours. The very thought of foreigners travelling here to rally for what
they perceive as "our" cause in Kiel or Hannover is absurd at best (thanks
for offering, though, Mike and others, I know you meant well).

And, as Jonny stated, realistically, there are more important battles to win
and more important causes to promote. Lower Saxon is a matter of the heart,
so-to-speak, and important in a different way - to some, not to all, no
matter how much we wish it were so. And I see nothing wrong with including
it in German lessons anyway. Most people do perceive it as a variation of
their mother tongue, especially since there are different degrees of hybrids
(Missingsch etc.) spoken all over Northern Germany. And, at least where I
live, speaking Lower Saxon is considered a tradition, a gimmick, a lovable
quirk, but most certainly not a political issue.

Apart from the fact that there aren't enough "native" teachers, a standard
would have to be found for teaching (and for textbooks), and that would
violate and soon kill off what remains of regional dialects. I doubt that
hundreds of different local varieties would be taught, as they ought to be!
Please keep in mind that Lower Saxon is NOT Welsh, the situation we have
here is quite different indeed.

Gabriele Kahn