LL-L "Names" 2007.10.06 (04) [E/LS]

Sat Oct 6 23:29:51 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 October 2007 - Volume 04

From: Ronald Veenker <veenker at atmc.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2007.10.06 (03) [E]

Ingmar,

I can't help you with the Yiddish or German derivatives.  My only
knowledge of the word comes from the comedian/musician of the 1940s,
Spike Jones:

Posted by ESC on September 12, 2003

September 11, 2003

: : I find references to both of these phrases! When is one used versus
the other? Thank you.

: I am not sure. There's the expression "goo-goo eyes" and then there's
a song:

: Barney Google
: by Spike Jones

: Barney Google, with his goog- goog- googley eyes.
: Barney Google had a wife three times his size.
: She sued Barney for divorce
: Now he's living with his horse.
: Barney Google, with his goog- goog- googley eyes.

goo-goo eyes - to cast amorous glances at. 1901.
googy eyes - same meaning as goo-goo eyes. 1919
google-eyed - 1902-03 Ade "People You Know" 106. The men were all
google-eyed.

 From "Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, Volume 1,
A-G" by J.E. Lighter, Random House, New York, 1994.

That reference didn't have a definition for "google-eyed." But it look
to me like "goo-good eyes" are about boy/girl looks and "google-eyed"
is just being wide-eyed and excited about something.

Ron Veenker

On Saturday, October 6, 2007, at 02:42  PM, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder < ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
> Subject: LL-L "Names" 2007.10.02 (08) [E]
>
> Ronald Veenker < veenker at atmc.net> wrote:
> >How interesting, Roland. I'm glad to meet a distant relative. My
> >great grandmother married into the Steketee family in Grand Rapids,
> >Michigan. They owned several department stores and furniture stores.
> >There are still Steketee stores in the new parts of Grand Rapids.
>
> That's a coincidence! I wonder how this name "Steketee" is pronounced
> over
> there, I guess something like ["stEkIdi:]? The original Dutch prono is
> ["ste:k at te:], meaning something like "sticking out (protruding) toe"
> ;-)
>
> But I have a different name question: where does the word Google come
> from?
> I read it was from Googol (a very large number), but there were already
> English words like "goggle" and "googly eyes".
> I thought it could be a Yiddish word, something like "guckeln" derived
> from a diminutive of German "gucken", but then it would rather
> be "gickeln" of course, which would have given "Giggle".
>
> Ingmar

Ronald Veenker
"Now and Zen"
623 Ocean Boulevard West
Holden Beach, NC 28462-1805

----------

> But I have a different name question: where does the word Google come
> from?
> I read it was from Googol (a very large number), but there were
> already
> English words like "goggle" and "googly eyes".
> I thought it could be a Yiddish word, something like "guckeln" derived
> from a diminutive of German "gucken", but then it would rather
> be "gickeln" of course, which would have given "Giggle".

I believe "Google" must have originally been intended as one of those
"suggestive" names, suggesting both the idea of searching with goggles
and searching vast amounts (a "googol") of information, though I'm sure
even the entire Internet doesn't contain a googol of bits!

BTW, don't type the word "Google" into Google, since, as you probably
realise, this would break the Internet.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Ingmar,

I can't think of or find any Yiddish word that would suggest a connection.

By the way, not all Yiddish dialects have the /u/ -> [i] shift, for instance
the Baltic ones (litvak "Lithuanian") that before World War II were
considered prestigeous. Those that do have it also shift /o/ (which come
from old /a/) to [u], by the way.

According to the Wikipedia, the name Google started as a misspelling of
"googol." I assume it was a deliberate misspelling, intended to be
"suggestive," as Sandy suggested above.

From: "Arend Victorie" <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Names"

Moi Leeglaanders,

Kan iene van oe lui mij ok een hint geven woar as de name (Kuttschruitter)
weg komp?

Wellicht uut Duutslaand ?

Arend Victorie