LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.09 (01) [E/LS]

Tue Oct 9 18:16:34 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  09 October 2007 - Volume 01

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics"

Beste Mike,

You wrote:

> Other examples can be added, notably Irish Gaelic. One doesn't
> popularize a language
> by teaching it (only) in school.

Same goes for Dutch, which was taught for decades in Southern Belgium.
Changed next to nothing in the general perception down south. Even
worse, now that Dutch has gained some status thanks to economic success
in the North, many Walloon people would rather use English than Dutch
when addressing us.

For me it all boils down to the question: Is there enough demand for the
language in question to be introduced? If not, forget your offer. There
used to be a time when imposing yourself still worked (for a while).
Those days are gone in my opinion. If you can't "seduce" the other
party, you're gonna lose (in the long run). I can already hear some
people say "Create some demand then": Brrr...! Mental, physical and
economic coercion are all just as bad to me.

Like it or not, this world has no global government (yet). So in the
meantime, sovereignty (both political and linguistic) is like a conditio
sine qua non to me.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx