LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.13 (02) [E]

Sat Oct 13 18:18:19 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  13 October 2007 - Volume 02

From: "M.-L. Lessing" <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics"

Hello,

as to the success of English and French in spite of their weird spelling: I
found this recently:
http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,510913,00.html (German)

In short it says that words survive the better the more they are used. They
"prove" is with irregular verbs. Can the same be valid for queer spelling?
The more it is used, the more natural it may seem. Humans seem to see widely
used words as given wholes and do not question their spelling. The power of
habit :-)

Hartlich Gröten!

Marlou