LL-L "Traditions" 2007.10.14 (03) [D/E/LS]

Sun Oct 14 18:24:58 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 October 2007 - Volume 03

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.10.13 (01) [E]

From: Danette & John Howland < dan_how at msn.com>
Subject: "Traditions"

Hello, All.

Does anyone have ideas about the origin of the "Zwarte Pieten" who accompany
St. Nicholas? Is "Black Pete" merely a scary little Kobold, or did he once
serve a different purpose?

I have been in a discussion about Yuletide origins with a correspondent who
brought up the thought that since St. Nicholas is a Church-approved reflex
for the germanic god Woden the "Zwarte Pieten" may represent his ravens.
Cool idea, I think.

Any thoughts on this?

Best wishes,

John
I've not heard of Zwarte Pieten, but some years ago one of the big
department stores in Wollongong in Australia had a Christmas window display
with shop dummies dressed as various traditional Christmas figures. The
modern Santa, mediaeval Father  Winter, Sinte Claas etc.  But one that
sticks in my mind was "Belsnikkel", apparently traditional amongst the
Pennsylvania Dutch in the USA.  I called him the "Heavy Metal Goth Santa";
Dressed in black robes with a thick bushy black beard, apparently somebody
dressed like this would go from house to house, rapping on the windows and
making horrible grimaces at the kids.  Then, when they'd presumably been
scared s**tless, he'd scatter sweets and little gifts.  Talk about mixed
messages!
I don't know if Pennsylvania Dutch folk grow up particularly disturbed, but
I fully understand if they do.

Paul Finlow-Bates