LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.20 (05) [E]

Sun Oct 21 02:57:56 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 October 2007 - Volume 05

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.20 (02) [E]

"Over" is used a lot in the US –

I'm going over to the supermarket. [possibly implies crossing some major
obstacle, such as walking across the street, or driving across a busy
highway or across town]

They invited us over for dinner. [possible even if they live next door]

I went over to Jimmy's, and his mom said I could sleep over.

Airline passengers frequently encounter long layovers. [doesn't necessarily
mean overnight, just a long gap between arrival at an airport and the
departure of their connecting flight]

Kevin Caldwell
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Sandy, you wrote with reference to Scots:

We might say "ower" (over) for journeys across a few hills or over a river:

I've heard Appalachian speakers say "over town" where others would say
"(in)to town." Could this be related?

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Sure, Kevin, but what other expressions are there without the article, as in
"over town"?

It's true that here I here "over" used very often where other English
varieties would use "across," even "over the bridge."  I think that's a
dialectical thing, though, perhaps an east coast thing.