LL-L "Resources" 2007.10.26 (01) [E]

Fri Oct 26 14:17:09 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 October 2007 - Volume 01

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2007.10.24 (01) [E]

Elsie, Ron,

In Dutch, 'y' is another, less used and a bit old fashioned way to
write 'ij'. The name of the letter 'y' in the Dutch alphabet is 'ij'.
When writing in capitals, Y for IJ is used more often. But there's also a
seperate letter 'y' in Graeco-Latin loan words in Dutch, such as gymnasium
[xem"na:zi at m], fysiek [fi"zik], analyse [ana"li:z@], and then it's
pronounced as if it were 'i'. In a few words, it's even pronounced as if
it were 'u' by some people, e.g. olympisch [o:"l2mpis], but that's
actually quite a 'posh' prono, most people say [o:"lempis].

Thank you Elsie, and Mark again, but I still did not make my point clear,
I think. I was talking about the varieties of Afrikaans that
have "huus", "uut" with uu, so without a diphthong, unlike Dutch and
Afrikaans ui, but like Older Dutch, Zeelandic, West Flemish, and Low
Saxon, but in the same time have "ys", "kyk" with y like Dutch ij/Afr. y,
but unlike Zeelandic, West Flemish etc, which have 'ie' here.
Just like in the Scottish (or Scots?) examples Ron gave, where old long u
was preserved as "oo", but old long i has become a diphthong.
My question is: are you familiar with this "uu" prono in Afrikaans and do
you know if this this still exists?

Ik wens jullie een fijne dag
Ingmar

Maria Elsie Zinsser het geskryf:

The change from huis > hys, luis>lys relate to 'ontronding' and it's
a dialectical characteristic of many Western Cape Afrikaans speakers
 of all races.

I have to look up about the process of ijs in Dutch becoming ys in
Afrikaans.

R. F. Hahn het geskryf:

I've always assumed that what is now written ij and previously also ÿ and
y in
Dutch was at the developmental stage of having shifted from [i:] to [Ç Ä±]
([@I]) at the time of the early Cape settlement and for some time
thereafter, that Afrikaans just stuck to it.

Not?