LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.26 (04) [E]

Fri Oct 26 15:21:09 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 October 2007 - Volume 04

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.19 (01) [E]

I'm sorry if I seemed to go off the handle in my reply. I certainly did not
want to be rude. My sole objective was to put some things right. The
situation of Dutch in the first half of the 20th century was far from ideal.
Dutch was taught at school, but as a result of the lingering preponderant
status of French in public affairs, the schoolteachers' Dutch was almost
inevitably more or less seriously tinged by French( by what we call
'galicismen". (But then again,on the other hand, it struck us that the Dutch
were far more influenced by German (te so-called "germanismen") than the
Flemish.) Let us not forget that it was only in 1930 - after a long struggle
- that Dutch was used at the Ghent university as a teaching medium. (I'm not
sure when they started at the Leuven university, but I think it must have
been somewhat later). Nevertheless, it was General Dutch, though a in a
southern form.

Best regards

Roger Hondshoven

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder < ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.18 (06) [E]

Sorry Roger, I should have known to be more careful as a Dutchman saying
something about Flemish, this is still a precarious matter which can
provoke allergic reactions ;-) Actually I did not mean they didn't know
Dutch, but that they didn't know standard Dutch very well. What I meant is
that they did not _use_  standard Dutch, but, as you wrote yourself, a
heavily coloured language. But I think not only by French but especially
by their own dialects as well. I was talking about the first half of the
last century, or do you think they did use standard Dutch in that period?

Ingmar
Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com> schreef:
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.12 (05) [E]

To my mind, this is highly exaggerated. Of course the Flemish continued to
use their dialects in everyday circumstances and in local surroudings. But
colonial public servants *did* know Dutch, be it that their language was
considerably influenced by French.----------

Ingmar wrote:
I assume in that period, the first half of the last century, many Flemish
even didn't know standard Dutch very well themselves, what they spoke were
their Brabant, West and East Flemish or Limburg dialects and a kind of
Dutch coloured heavily by those. French, however, was a clear and uniform
language. With all the prestige Flemish was lacking.