LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.10.26 (03) [E]

Fri Oct 26 15:19:34 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 October 2007 - Volume 03

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.10.25 (03) [D/E]

Dear Ron/group,

Ron wrote:

But then again, we get differences in what "town" means in different English
dialects. In American English it tends to include what in Europe is
"village" (even places with only a handful of houses), and Americas tend to
use the word "village" only in "Old World" contexts ( e.g., "quaint English
village," "Bavarian village dance").  But if you say "town" in Europe,
people think of smaller cities or, in the American context, larger towns.
(American "town" might be closest in meaning to German Ort or Ortschaft.)

I would just like to make the comment that in the State of New York, you are
always in a "township" or simply "town" with a separate government from the
"incorporated village" or "city". No idea how many US States do this.

Thus when I lived in the incorporated village of Dolgeville, I was in the
town of Mannheim. To my ten-year-old mind, this made eminent sense, since
that was where my people lived. And across the river naturally was the town
of Oppenheim!

In Puerto Rico you always are in a "pueblo", which is synomous with
"municipio", but there is no equivalent of "village".

Thus I live here in the municipio of San Germán (Saint Germain de Auxerre)
on a lovely hill far from the core community. Naturally occurring, legally
non-organized communities like Rosario and Castañer have no boundaries and
are partly in three or four municipios each.

Jorge Potter