LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.27 (05) [E]

Sat Oct 27 20:15:27 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 October 2007 - Volume 05

From: Danette & John Howland <dan_how at msn.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.27 (01) [E]

Thanks, Sandy.

I have never heard of this kind of association between bishoprics and
cities. Interesting stuff. I wonder if this concept ever obtained in 18th
century America. I don't imagine the Anglican or Roman churches ever had
that much influence here.

In Alaska our use of "village" is also associated with politics. Because
Alaska native claims were regulated by a "settlement act" and not by
creating Indian reservations we have to search for another designation for
native lands. "Village" seems to fit even though vast tracts of land are
held by some native-owned corporations.

Peace be with you.

John Howland

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.26 (08) [E]

Regarding "wonen" Ron says: Isn't it amazing how etymology whittles things
down to a relatively small number of root words?

Yes, and the other side of this coin is that if you start at a "root word"
and think of people living in a "primitive" society" and follow the new
derivations that generation after generation have derived from this root to
fit their more specialized society, that is also a special joy. Btw, I am
probably not amiss if the IE root of modern " zitten/to sit " is also
underlying settlement and site. Jacqueline