LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.28 (05) [E]

Mon Oct 29 00:34:28 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  28 October 2007 - Volume 05

From: "Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc." <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.10.28 (03) [E]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.27 (01) [E]
> On a separate issue of "towns", I find it interesting that while England
and Scotland are littered with "ton" names from Anglo-Saxon tun (enclosure),
when I look at maps of other Lowlands, and indeed Germanic, countries, I
don't see any counterparts.
1 - In the Boulonnais area in Northern France:

*Fréthun (Cl) = Fraido + thun*
*Offrethun (Guelferton in 1181) (Bo) = Wulfhari + thun*
**
*Baincthun (Bo) = Bago + inga + thun*
*Alincthun (Bo)*
*Audincthun (St-O),*
*Verlincthun (Bo)*
**
*With old -inga- (patronymical suffix) later lost:*
*Landrethun-le-Nord (Bo)*
*Landrethun-les-Ardres (St-O) (Landringetun in 1084)*
**
*as well as for hamelets:*
*Alenthun, h. of Pihen-lès-Guînes (Cl)*
*Audinthun, h. of Zudausques (St-O)*
*Connincthun, h. of Beuvreques (Bo)*
*Florincthun, h. of Condette (Bo)*
*Hardenthun, h. of Marquise (Bo)*
*Olincthun, h. of Wimille (Bo)*
*Warincthun, h. of Audinghem (Bo)*

Bo = Boulogne-sur-Mer
Cl = Calais
St-O = Saint-Omer

as to p. 76 in *Denise Poulet*, Noms de lieux du Nord - Pas-de-Calais,
Bonneton, 1997, ISBN 2-86253-222-3, 232 pp.

2 - As to a question by Ron about Frisian presence in Flanders, *Vic de
Donder* in "In de naam van Vlaanderen", Davidsfonds, 2007, ISBN
978-90-5826-498-5, 208 pp., gives p. 16-17:

*When settling in Holland in the 3th century, the Frisians settled as South
as "Sincfal", a cove of the see at Bruges.*
*Futher settlements by Saxons were reported afterwards.*
*Later the see recessed, leaving more land dry, which gave a large influx of
Francs .*
**
*The saxon Herualdolugo (-lauha = little forest) became Hrochashem -> Roksem
(close to Oudenburg)*
**
*The name Flanders appears first in the 8th century.*
*Etym(?): flauma (high tide) (ONo: flaumr, De: flom, OHG floum = mud)*
*with a 8th century shift of au -> a in Flemish and Frisian.*

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Paul Finlow-Bates muses that: On a separate issue of "towns", I find it
interesting that while England and Scotland are littered with "ton" names
from Anglo-Saxon *tun *(enclosure), when I look at maps of other Lowlands,
and indeed Germanic, countries, I don't see any counterparts.

HI paul, I would think that is not surprising since the root-word "tun" was
coined way before towns existed.

The early European farmers learned that when they started to grow grains,
they'd better fence their plots otherwise the deer would get their food.
That is where the precursor of the German word for fence (der Zaun)

shows up. In Dutch the plot where you grow your food and flowers is still
called (de tuin). It is only much later that in England they are extending
the meaning of the word garden fence into the meaning of a fence around not
only the garden, or even the house, but around a whole bunch of houses. The
meaning then develops into defence, not from deer but from marauding humans.
 Ain't  etymology fun? Happy Sunday, Jacqueline
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Not only that, Jacqueline and Paul, but the meaning of "enclosure" also
applies already in Old English tuun ~ tún ~ tun in many cases, sometimes to
be translated as 'garden' or 'yard (surrounding a dwelling)'; e.g.,

Ƽif man in mannes tun ærest ƽeirneþ, vi scillingum ƽebete; se þe æfter
irneþ, iii scillingas.
*Laws Ethelbert* c. 17, 601-604

tuun vel þrop
Erfurt Glossary, 800 ("tuun = thorp")

Ða cuomon ðe hælend mið him in tun ðe hata gezemani
Matt. xxvi. 36, Lindisfarn Gospel, 950

But thei..wenten forth, oon in to his toun
Matt. xxii. 5, The Holy Bible, made from the Latin Vulgate by John Wycliffe
and his followers, 1382, 1388

Still at the end of the 18th century "town" was often used in the sense of
"farm," e.g.,

Some hill towns had a good deal of corn on the ground to shear.
*Analysis of the phenomena of the human mind* 1829 (1869), James Mill,
quoting a text from 1789

Two or three low thatched houses, placed with their angles to each other,
with a great contempt of regularity. This was the farm-steading of Charlie's
Hope, or, in the language of the country, 'the town'.
***Guy M.* xxiii, 1815

In Scotland (where it is pronounced 'toon') it still denotes the farmhouse
and buildings.
James Bryce*, The American commonwealth*, 1888

It was in the late 12th century that use of tuun with a meaning close to
modern "town" appears; e.g.,

Hi læiden ƽæildes o þe tunes æure um wile... Þa þe uurecce men ne hadden nan
more to gyuen, þa ræueden hi & brendon alle the tunes.
Old English Chronicle, 1137, 1154

Fra land to land, fra tun to tun, Fra wic to wic i tune.
*The Ormulum* *c* 1200