LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.30 (04) [E]

Tue Oct 30 23:02:08 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 October 2007 - Volume 04

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.30 (01) [E]

Ron wrote:

"So, if "settle" is related to "sit" and "set" -- which seems to be fairly
safe to assume -- then we must conclude that "to settle" and its cognates
were originally used to denote something like *"to temporarily settle/dwell
(as one does time and time again on a journey)."  So this may take us back
to the good old days on long journeys, perhaps migration. "

If it were iterative - could it not mean " somewhere where I rest/stop
frequently" i.e. this is the same spot I stopped at last year and the year
before. Perhaps a summer settlement would be the place were the group spent
some part of the summer months every year as they followed  the grazing.

And as annual migrations ceased, the word settlement was used to still
describe the same spot - but one which was now permanent     ?????

re ' dwell' Is there a hint of this meaning of 'stray/wander/ be somewhere
not known' in the Bluebells of Scotland?

<< O where, tell me where does your Highland laddie dwell?

O where, tell me where does your Highland laddie dwell?

He dwells in merry Scotland at the sign of the Bluebell

And it's Oh in my heart that I wish him safe and well. >>

In another verse we learn " he's gone to fight the French for King George
upon the throne. " I had always taken the song to mean that her lad had left
home and was temporarily staying at the sign of the Bluebell, billeted there
by the army.

But perhaps that's not how others read it?

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

That sounds like an interesting hypothesis, Heather.

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about semi-nomadic herders'
lifestyles, following or taking livestock between summer and winter
pastures. So they don't migrate as such, just change between permanent
abodes according to the season. This is still the lifestyle in large regions
of Eurasia and Africa, and there are remnants of it in the mountainous
regions of Europe as well. I can well imagine that this applied to
Indo-Europeans.