LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.31 (02) [E/]

Wed Oct 31 22:46:19 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 October 2007 - Volume 02

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.31 (01) [E/S]

Hi Ron & Co:

Subject: L-Lowlands "Etymology"

Hi, Mark! The -dwaal in verdwaal is a cognate of "dwell," isn't it?

I certainly think so. Here is one of the cases where English is richer than
Afrikaans in an ancient survival. Mind you, we have kept 'woon' & its
cognates in all the other Lowlands languages including the Anglo Saxon  &
Modern English hasn't.

By the way, in this delightful other string I seem to know something
suspiciously like it from 'Mother Goose' I think,
'Froggy would a wooing go,
whether his mother would let him or no.
"Heih ho," says Froggy.'
or whatever, with the refrain,
'Cock me carry, Kitty alone
Kitty alone & I...'
I shouldn't bother to save it. These versions are so much more fun.

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Hi all,

Maar Mark, what about "om in 'n dwaal te wees"- to wander aimlessly/ be
mentally lost?

I am sure it is related to dwell / verdwaald.

Elsie Zinsser
----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Lowlanners,

right now I found the solution for that weird change of the meaning of 'to
dwell' throughout the time from O.E. to modern LS and Dutch.

It happened during the crusades when the Knights of the Cross made their
terrible visits in Mideast or the Baltic coasts. We must remember: that
nasty gang was a mixture of (very nobel!!) people from all over Europe, and
so it was inevitable that they had some difficulties to understand each
single word of the language of their next brother in crime.

Soldiers cannot fight continously and at everytime, they have to rest.

So the black Ritter van Ravensnest told his co-leader, the famous Knight of
Hollywood: "Latt uns ver*weilen*, Lordy, recht an tiesem plaze!". And his
very British neighbour said: "Oh yeah! Let us build a *toon* mith our*
shiel[d]s
*and tus* dwellon* the fiend!".

So- one of the junior knaves from Frisia, Hendrijk de Wijke, (who could
listen to their talk) got order to establish the camp and soon had to
experience how fast the older knights became besotted by the heavy southern
wine or the Lithunian vodka- they started to *dwyljen*!

A little while later one of the young Scandinavian knights (his name may
have been Harald Swoerdfishing) saw the old warriors move wobbling fore and
back, and he asked a neighbour from Lower Saxony (Henninck van de Deyken) if
they possibly had eaten any *dvael*baers. "Joo!" said that one, "de
*dweelt*as 'n Bär de Jordbeer'n gaddeert!".

And from now on the whole crew knew what to do and what would happen if
anyone used the word "*Weilen!*", "*Dwell!*" or "*Dweelt!*".

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm