LL-L "Language perception" 2007.09.06 (03) [E]

Thu Sep 6 18:48:49 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 September 2007 - Volume 03

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Language Ranking'

Beste Lowlanners,

similar to Jacqueline I have to apologize for my absence- caused by
technical problems in a double sense: my PC made some trouble, and I had to
build up a new IKEA-kitchen. Even to my worst foe I wouldn't recommend to
try it- sheer horror!

So- let me come back again to the list with a posting perhaps to smile:
My son (12) and I these days talked about the different languages and his
personal ranking of them.
I told him that (following after LS, of course) English was my favorite.
He still doesn't like it very much, but he agreed that LS was his favorite,
too, but the second one would be 'Anglerlatein', literally translated
'fishermen's Latin' (you know- that special 'sign language' with the arms
spread widely ;-))...

Perhaps I should tell you that he really likes Latin on one side ( a kind of
pervertism for my opinion, though I'm glad today that I have had the chance
to learn it, too) and that he is an engaged angler on the other.

*'Kindermund tut Wahrheit kund.'*

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language perception

Welcome back, Jonny!  Good to "see" you.

Personally, I would be at a loss if I had to rank languages.  To me it's
like comparing apples, oranges, spinach, broccoli, parsley, asparagus,
plums, cherries, potatoes and whatever.  I like all of them.  From day to
day and from hour to hour my answer would be different.  For me, switching
language is like going from one room to another. Each room's interior is
different and each room's window offers a view of another world.

P.S.:
Your article about the Hadeln region (lowlands-l.net/travels/hadeln.php) is
being regularly visited by people from all over the world, by the way. So
you've really put the place on the world map. I suspect that what attracts
many people is your angle of the origin of the Saxons that colonized
Britain.  Thanks for having made the effort. I wish more people would follow
suit.