LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.09.08 (03) [E/LS]

Sun Sep 9 03:21:09 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  31 August 2007 - Volume 01

From: Soenke Dibbern <s_dibbern at web.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.09.07 (04) [E]

An'n Fr., den 07. Sep.'07, hett Jonny Meibohm dit Klock 17.23 schreven:

>  Theo,
>
> Du schreyvst:
>
>> How did you curse in your own dialect?
>
> Hm- I must admit that I don't know many 'good' swears in LS, and about
> this phenomenon I had posted before aeons.
> Our LS seems to have lost them, because there are so much better ones in
> Standard German.
> [...]

Jonny, may I help you out with some?

"Du hest wull Rötten op'n Böön!" ([You sure have rats in your attic!] "Are
you mad, or what!")
"Nu warrt't wull rieten!" ([Now, it will break!] "Now it's enough!")
"Wat för'n dreedubbelten Swienschiet!" ([What a threefold pigs' shit!]
"What a pile of fucking bullshit!")
"So'n rutzverdammigten Schietkerdel!" ([Such a snot-damned shithead!]
"Such a goddamned shitty sod!")
"Maak di vun'n Acker!" ([Get off the acre!] "Piss off!")

> I really think that LS has become a weak and polite language, compared
> with
> great, modern languages. It's a huge difference if you say e.g.  *'Das
> ist
> große Scheiße'*  in Standard German or *'Dat is grouden Schiit'*  in LS.

I think the LS swears and curses are very much alive and kicking, but
their 'impact' or perception depends heavily on your current company. If
you use these in a 'LS environment' (people talking normally in LS with
each other), they are as strong as any Standard German phrases, while if
used in a 'Sociability environment' (people talking regularly Standard
German with each other, but in LS for the sake of 'cosiness'), they loose
much of their original sharpness, due to the social role of LS usage
within those circumstances.

I don't know whether you've encountered at any time in your life a
landman, red-faced, fists clenched, screaming something like "Wohr di weg,
oder ik krieg di bi de Hammelbeen!" into your face. I have not, and I
wouldn't envy you if you had. To me, such a guy would be as impressive as
one screaming at me in Standard German or any other language.

Allerbest!

Sönke