LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.11 (08) [E]

Tue Sep 11 23:42:07 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  11 September 2007 - Volume 08

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.09.11 (01) [E]

Hi all,

Ron, Heather, our cinderella is called  "aspoestertjie" and I suspect it
relates more to 'ash polisher'
(poetser) with a bit of 'klankverspringing' causing the shift from 'poetser'
to 'poester'.

Elsie Zinsser

The Northern Low Saxon name for Cinderella is Aschenpüüstersch
(['aSnpy:st3S]).

My etymological stab at it is that it means "ash blower" (with the feminine
ending *-sch < -sche*).

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.11 (02) [E]

Hello,

Ron, my Schwoabische ex mother-in-law (87) uses 'toll' quite frequently and
doubt it that she got it from the north, but who knows.

Elsie Zinsser
Low Saxon *doll* ended up in Missingsch and then in casual Northern German
with the meaning 'strongly', 'very much', 'very'.  Its German cognate is *
toll* (*d* > *t*, *t* > *ts*), originally meaning 'crazy', 'crazed',
'raging' but nowadays being used more in the extended sense of 'great' (!).
This is how *doll* and *toll* came to coexist in the same language
varieties.

Has *doll* spread to Southern German varieties in the meantime?