LL-L "Grammar" 2007.09.12 (05) [E]

Thu Sep 13 00:50:20 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 September 2007 - Volume 05

From: Gary Davenport <gldavenport at student.ysu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2007.09.12 (03) [E]

Hello Lowlanders. The Oxford American Dictionary gives the following
etymology for battery:

"ORIGIN Middle English : from French batterie, from battre 'to strike,' from
Latin battuere. The original sense was [metal articles wrought by
hammering,] later [a number of pieces of artillery used together] ; on this
was based a sense [a number of Leyden jars connected up so as to discharge
simultaneously] (mid 18th cent.), from which sense 1 developed. The general
meaning [a set or series of similar units] ( sense 3 ) dates from the late
19th cent."

Gary Davenport

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

And to you, too, welcome in the Speakers' Corner, Gary.  Great you joined
us.

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2007.09.12 (04) [E]

 Does anyone know when the word battery in the sense of electrical storage
devices became singular?

Danette and John,

I use battery when I have one battery and batteries when I have many. For
example, if your car battery is dead, you're screwed till ya charge it. On
the other hand, you can just buy more batteries for your shortwave radio
when they die on you. It's quantity that changes out the number.
Ben