LL-L "Grammar" 2007.09.13 (01) [E]

Thu Sep 13 17:24:59 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  13 September 2007 - Volume 01

From: Kevin and Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2007.09.12 (04) [E]

One that hasn't been "singularized" yet is "glasses". Or "spectacles" for
that matter, but that word isn't used much anymore. Although you
occasionally run across the shortened form "specs", usually used in a
jocular manner.

And that reminds me of the joke about the accident at the telescope factory.
One of the workers got caught in the lens grinding machine and made a
spectacle of himself.

Kevin Caldwell
 From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Thanks a lot for the "tweezer," John.  That's another one I've heard.
Here's another couple: "tong" instead of "tongs," and "pincer" instead of
"pincers."

It's great to have you in the speakers' corner, John.

Thanks a lot for the "tweezer," John.  That's another one I've heard.
Here's another couple: "tong" instead of "tongs," and "pincer" instead of
"pincers."

It's great to have you in the speakers' corner, John.

"Pincer is an interesting one.  If referring to a hand tool, I'd talk about
"pincers", like "scissors".  But then, I'd say that a crab or a lobster has
two pincers, and a fiddler crab has one pincer bigger than the other...
Paul Finlow-Bates