LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.09.17 (01) [E]

Mon Sep 17 16:51:00 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  17 September 2007 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.09.16 (02) [E]

Hi Ron,

For me at least, those words aren't exactly synonymous.

A "basement" suggests some sort of practical use - living space, workspace,
even car parking.   A "cellar" conjours up a rather dank hole in the ground
for throwing things in, that you can't think what else to do with.

We have "basement flats" in many English and Scottish cities, apartments
below street level.  You wouldn't get many takers for a "cellar flat".

I percieve "corridors" to be necessarily much longer than they are wide;
"hallsways" could be almost square - though that's just a personal take on
it.

Paul Finlow-Bates