LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.09.17 (02) [E]

Mon Sep 17 20:07:24 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 September 2007 - Volume 02

From: Roland Desnerck <desnerck.roland at skynet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.09.16 (02) [E]

Beste Ron en Lowlanders,
In Russia I've seen "1" for "Pierwiej Etaazj" or first floor meaning "ground
floor". The first time that I was spending some days in a Russian hotel, now
almost 40 years ago, I stood rather longtime in the elevator or lift because
I had pushed the number 1 button.
About "cellar": In France, if the "basement" (containing the barrels) is on
the ground floor, the correct word is "le cellier", if the wine is in a
space lower than the ground floor, the word used is "la cave". "Nos caves"
is not the same as "nos celliers".
Something else: the verb "baten" is Dutch, in West-Flanders we say "boatn";
and "e batsje" is a bargain. A volunteer who doesn' t want to make money is:
onbaatzuchtig .
And this: "batteriest" is still used in Oostende meaning "drummer". We have
also a verb "battern" = to fight. M' hén doa gebatterd: we had a fight.
Toetnoasteki,
Roland Desnerck
Oostende in West-Vlaanderen.