LL-L "Language death" 2007.09.19 (05) [E]

Thu Sep 20 03:46:02 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 September 2007 - Volume 05

From: "WALTERG580 at aol.com" <WALTERG580 at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language death" 2007.09.19 (03) [E]

As a point of interest I am a Quarter Cherokee, which has a rich language
and culture and fortunately continues its traditions. On my mothers side,
the last fluent speaker was an uncle but despite the loss of the language in
my family Many still speak it.. The major reason for Cherokee language
survival may be that it has a written form, and a news paper is published
daily at Talequah the capital of the Cherokee Nation.

Which is the second largest Tribe in the US, after the Navaho, whose culture
continues as well.

[Walter Gamble]

----------

From: "R. F. Hahn" <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language death

Osiyo, Walter!

It's certainly nice to hear from you. Welcome! Or Tsilugi! in the ancestral
language.

Lots of Americans are of partly indigenous descent. It's just that most of
them are either not aware of it or keep shtum about it. (It used to be
considered a bad thing, so parents tended not to hand down this information
in order to make it disappear.) And among these many Americans many are of
Cherokee descent.  In my introduction to Tsalagi (
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/tsalagi-info.php) I mention several of the
many well-known ones:

   - Kim Basinger
   - James Brown
   - Kevin Costner
   - Carmen Electra
   - Jimi Hendrix
   - Michael Jackson
   - Val Kilmer
   - Eartha Kitt
   - Demi Moore
   - Chuck Norris
   - Elvis Presley
   - Robert Rauschenberg
   - Burt Reynolds
   - Tina Turner

As you may know, the Cherokee and the other four nations were considered
"civilized" because they tried to become Europeanized (which is why they
felt even more betrayed by the Trail of Tears).  At the time this included
owning African slaves. The released slaves (Freedmen), most of whom were
part Cherokee, later became officially citizens of the Cherokee nation.
Their citizenship was revoked in the 1980s. Because of a firestorm and
threats to stop federal funding, the Cherokee nation (minus Freedmen) voted
on it in March of this year and affirmed the ousting. Because of political
pressure, this was revoked on May 15, 2007. Since then there has been a lot
of friction and political and legal maneuvering, including Congresswoman
Diane Watson introducing a bill that would sever ties between the United
States and the Cherokee Nation until the Freedmen issue is resolved.

Tohidu!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: Walter, your name in brackets above is my reminder of one of our rules
(http://lowlands-l.net/rules-en.php).