LL-L "Language politics" 2007.09.22 (02) [E/LS]

Sat Sep 22 20:07:57 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 September 2007 - Volume 02

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.09.20 (03) [LS]

Marcus wrote:

Opsehn. In de Medien wesen. Dat helpt. Dat wiest de Lüüd, de betherto
kene Aktivisten wesen sünd, dat se nich alleen sünd, de trurig sünd,
wenn en Spraak weg is. Dat gifft Mood.

Let me grab the bull by the horns, Marcus: What about defining an immediate
goal (e.g. Ortsschilder or Lehrpläne or radio/TV)) and undertake
media-effective actions until the goal is achieved. E.g. activists chain
themselves to the entrances of the parlament buildings in, say, Kiel or
Hannover. I live far away, my base is in Occitània (commonly known as
Southern France), right now I live in Florida, but for this I would come
to LS immediately. Do you think, Marcus, we could get together a core
of a sufficient number of activists to undertake such action.?
I am serious.
Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Folks,

I feel that those of you that don't read Low Saxon need to be periodically
briefed on what's going on in this thread.

People have been talking about their frustrations with the average North
German's passivity (in conjunction with administrative roadblocks) when it
comes to improving the status and thus the survival chances of Low Saxon
under German domination. The consensus appears to be that increased
visibility of the language would go a long way in generating encouragement
to use the language.

I think it was Marcus who pointed out that some activists of Cornish -- a
language in much more dire straits but with an admirably active language
revival lobby -- now offer a free service of translating short texts into
Cornish. It is this that tickles our fancy right now with regard to Low
Saxon. So, what would be needed is a band of volunteers (preferably
representing the basic dialect groups, since there is no general standard)
that come up with Low Saxon translations people request. These could be
brief texts for signs, websites, t-shirts, placards, posters, slogans, etc.