LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.23 (05) [E]

Mon Sep 24 06:06:11 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 September 2007 - Volume 05

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.23 (03) [E]

Beste Jonny

Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

today I had for some reasons to climb into my neighbour's *'paddock'*, that
fenced area to train horses. Yes- it's the same in German as in English, an
old loan, I guess.
On my way home then I came across Shakespeare's prologue of Macbeth, where
one of the witches is called by (a ghost?) with name *_Paddock_.*
I wonder where on earth there could be the relations between these two
words?

Must there be? A 'frog' is still called 'padda' in Afrikaans. English has
lost so many of its own words through the ages while it borrowed them from
other languages.

My Boshoff & Nienaber (Afrikaanse Etimologieë) volg die woord deur
Nederlands 'pad/padde', Middel-Nederlands 'padde/pedde/pod) en maak melding
van die Engels (dialekgebruik) 'pad/paddock'. So eindig hulle, "Herkoms
onseker"

Chamberlain's Etymological Dictionary says for the frog, 'Diminutive of
Middle English 'padde' - toad; Icelandic 'padda'.'
& this for the kraal, 'A small park adjoining the stables of a domain
(Anglo-Saxon 'pearroc' - 'sparran' ((German 'sperren') to shut out.'

My input, Afrikaans still uses both constructions. separated is 'afgesper',
delimited is 'afgeperk'.

Ron would know how the 'p's' crept in, but it's not an altogether unusual
linguistic phenomenon, I think.

Allerbest'
Mark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

This is what the Oxford English Dictionary has to say about this topic:

paddock, n.1 : A frog, a toad
[< PAD<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&search_id=Egbm-iJICm6-13571&result_place=1&xrefword=pad&ps=n.&homonym_no=1>
*n.*1 + -OCK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&search_id=Egbm-iJICm6-13571&result_place=1&xrefword=-ock&ps=suffix>
*suffix*.

For explanation of Scots forms in *-ag*, *-og*, *-och*, see discussion s.v.
-OCK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&search_id=Egbm-iJICm6-13571&result_place=1&xrefword=-ock&ps=suffix>
*suffix*.
Attested earlier in surnames, cf.: Alanus* Paddoch* (1170-1205);
Willielmus*Mordpaddoc
* (1198-1205); and in place names, cf.: *Padocdailes* (*c*1180-1205), *
Paddochedeiles* (1185-1205), now Paddock Hill, East Riding, Yorkshire; *
Padekebrok* (1242), *Padokbrok* (1291), now Padbrook Farm, Devon.]
pad, n.1 : A toad
-ock, suffix : [< a Germanic suffix represented in all the major Germanic
languages (see e.g.
HAWK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=1&xrefword=hawk&ps=n.&homonym_no=1>
*n.*1, MADDOCK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=1&xrefword=maddock&ps=n.>
*n.*, STIRK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=1&xrefword=stirk&ps=n.>
*n.*, and forms cited s.vv., Gothic *ahaks* dove, etc.); for possible
further connections in Indo-European see H. Krahe *Germanische
Sprachwissenschaft* (ed. 7, rev. W. Meid, 1969) III. §153. In Scots often
confused or conflated with Scottish Gaelic *-ag*, *-og*, Scots *-och*.
paddock, n.2 : *1. a.* (*a*) A small field or enclosure, usually adjoining a
house or farm building;
*esp.* a piece of pasture in which horses or other animals are turned out to
grass.
[Prob. a variant of
P<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&search_id=Egbm-L91eIu-13680&result_place=2&xrefword=parrock&ps=n.>
ARROCK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&search_id=Egbm-L91eIu-13680&result_place=2&xrefword=parrock&ps=n.>
*n.*]
parrock, n : *1.* An enclosed area of ground; a small field or paddock, *
esp.* one close to a farmhouse. Also *fig.* In early use also (occas.): a
fence or set of hurdles for enclosing an area of ground (*obs.*). Now
chiefly *Eng. regional*.
[Cognate with Middle Dutch *parc*, *perc*, *paerc*, *parric*,
*perric*enclosed place, park (Dutch
*perk* flowerbed, *park* enclosure with animals, park; the Dutch word app.
shows semantic influence from French *parc
*PARK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=park&ps=n.>
*n.* from an early date, and latterly also from
EnglishARK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=park&ps=n.>
*n.*), Middle Low German *perk* enclosure, Old High German *pfarrih*, *
pferrih* pen, enclosure, hurdle (Middle High German *pherrich*, *pferrich*,
*pferich*, *pherch* means of enclosure, pen, German *Pferch* pen, fold (for
sheep, etc.); > *pferchen* to fold, pen (an animal) (16th cent.)), further
etymology uncertain and disputed; perh. < post-classical Latin *parricus*(see
PARK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=park&ps=n.>
*n.* and discussion s.v.), although if so
PAR<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=par&ps=n.&homonym_no=2>
*n.*2 and PAR<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=par&ps=v.&homonym_no=1>
*v.*1 present difficulties, unless they are of a completely different origin
(it seems unlikely that they show a borrowing from Latin **parra*). In
English the ending prob. shows assimilation to the suffix
-OCK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=-ock&ps=suffix>
*suffix*. Cf. PADDOCK<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=paddock&ps=n.&homonym_no=2>
*n.*2

It is uncertain whether (as widely held by earlier scholars) Middle Low
German *parre*, Old High German *pharra* (Middle High German *pharre*,
German *Pfarre*) parish are ultimately from the same base; if so, they show
semantic and perh. also formal influence from post-classical Latin *parochia
* (see PARISH<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=parish&ps=n.>
*n.*), but it is also possible that they show borrowings of this word.
  Cf. Welsh *parwg* (< Middle English *parrock*).
  The use of the word in sense 3 appears to result from a misunderstanding
of its occurrence in sense 1 in post-classical Latin documents, prob.
originating in W. Somner *Treat. Gavelkind* (1660) 23. Somner quotes a roll
of accounts which mentions *parocum de Maghefeld* and later interprets *
paroc* as 'a Court-like kind of meeting': see quot. 1660 at sense 3.]

<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=paddock&ps=n.&homonym_no=2>

<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=-ock&ps=suffix>

<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=par&ps=n.&homonym_no=2>

<http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=paddock&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=2&xrefword=park&ps=n.>
Please also consider Germanic schildpad ("shield/armored toad") and variants
thereof for 'tortois' and 'turtle'.

I have a hunch that Low Saxon Pogg and Pock for 'frog' is a contracted form
of a cognate of English paddock 'frog'.

   - Old English: padde 'toad', 'frog'
   - Old Frisian: ?
   - Old Saxon: ?
   - Old Low Franconian: ?
   - Old Norse: padda 'toad', 'frog'

Another hunch of mine is that this -ock is related to Slavonic derivative *
-ik ~ *-yk ~ *-ek ~ *-ak. We encounter it elsewhere in Germanic, such as in
German chraneh > Kranich 'crane' (the bird), cf. Low Saxon Kraan, Dutch
kraan, English crane, etc., but also Middle Saxon kranek and Old English
cranoc. I believe it used to be something like an "approximant" ("...-like")
and in some languages a diminutive marker as well, much like Turkic
*-čäserving as both (
e.g., kitab-čä 'book-let', tağ-čä 'mountain-like', on-čä "ten-like" = 'about
ten', "Turk-like" = 'in Turkic/Turkish manner' > 'in Turkic/Turkish
language' > 'Turkic/Turkish language').  So a pad-ock may have been a
toad-like creature or a little toad, thus a frog.

Consider also the Scottish home-made bread called bannock, cognate of Gaelic
bannoch (< *bannoc?), Old English bannuc, cf. Latin panis 'bread' > panicium
.

And, yes, I suspect Romance -ic of being related to this too.