LL-L "History" 2007.09.23 (02) [E]

Mon Sep 24 19:14:57 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 September 2007 - Volume 02

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.09.23 (01) [E]

>> Ron wrote:
Subject: History

Hi, Heather!  Long time no post. It's great to hear from you to.  Is that
because it's become fall (autumn) and it's becoming uncomfortable sitting in
the garden what with cooler weather and falling tree fruit? <<

Sorry about the silence! But I am recovering from intensive preparation for
a 2 day Heritage exhibition, launch of a local history book and a reception
to mark the end of our 2nd Funded project and then the launch of our new
lecture programme!

The friend who suggested I take over her place as Chair, said that it wasn't
too arduous a job! Hum! some friend!

Having spent so many weeks preparing I am now in a mad dash to get in all
the fruit which is falling fast - about 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule. Chutney
is simmering on the stove as I write: quince & apple jelly was made
yesterday + pear juice + apple mint vinegar jelly ( for eating with lamb!).
I need to pick and store apples fast as rain and winds are forecast. So
little time to write but I do read diligently every day.

I am fascinated by the Paddock = toad. I didn't know that. BUT I do know
that the last sign of witchcraft discovered on the Isle of Anglesey was
found in a stone cist by a farmer ploughing out a mound. It was a large
earthernware jar with a dessicated toad inside stuck through with 12 iron
needles. On the outside of the jar was scratched NANNY ROBERTS.

I have often wondered whether it worked and what happened to the poor
unfortunate Nanny Roberts.

And now the connection toad = witchcraft = toad = Paddock = name of Macbeth
witch is v v intriguing.

Many many thanks for all those references re A/S movements on the Continent.
I shall pursue them - when the next batch of chutney is simmering!

Best wishes

Heather

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Heather!

Great to hear from you.  I wonder why I expected that some sort of
"fruttivaganza" was involved in your apparent silence.

So you are the chair of which (chapter of) heritage organization?

> Many many thanks for all those references re A/S movements on the
Continent.

You're most welcome. You can pay me in quinces, and no toads will be hurt.

Cheerio!