LL-L "History" 2007.09.23 (04) [E]

Mon Sep 24 20:09:49 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 September 2007 - Volume 04

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History"

Beste Heather,

You wrote:

> Ron wrote:   An example are the Saxons a large portion of which
> migrated to Britain, while the rest stayed put, probably absorbing
> others and finally being overwhelmed by the Franks and their vassals.
>
> I was reading Stenton's Anglo Saxon History this week and he made the
> point that during the lull inbetween the 1st & 2nd invasion on the
> British mainland ( supposedly because there had been a spirited
> defence and progress had been halted) there were reports of similar
> incursions all along the Northern coast of France.
>
> This is the first time I have heard mention of A/Saxons trying their
> luck on the continent. Can anyone put me in the way of other
> supporting information.

Saxons must have settled in numerous places along the Belgo-Gallic coast.
One such place is the river Slack-estuary in Marquise, north of
Boulogne.  Another one is located in the Picardie-region. Northwest of
Abbeville (Abbegem in Flemish), there's a place called Rue, at the mouth
of the river Somme, where archeological remains of a settlement were found.
Maybe even bigger numbers of Saxons must have settled in Normandy, in
places as far south as Bayeux and Caen. More can be read here:

http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/scho074hist01/scho074hist01_0002.htm

(look for chapter VI, "De Saksen", in Dutch)

This so called "Otlingua Saxonia" is also discussed in
http://herjolfr.blogspot.com/  (but in French).

More detail can be found under "De quelques autres opinions" in
http://www.normannia.info/pdf/larue1820.pdf

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx