LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.23 (03) [E]

Mon Sep 24 19:20:24 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 September 2007 - Volume 03

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.23 (03) [E]

> From:  jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'
>
> Beste Lowlanners,
>
> today I had for some reasons to climb into my neighbour's 'paddock',
> that fenced area to train horses. Yes- it's the same in German as in
> English, an old loan, I guess.
>
> On my way home then I came across Shakespeare's prologue of Macbeth,
> where one of the witches is called by (a ghost?) with name _Paddock_.
>
> I wonder where on earth there could be the relations between these two
> words?

Jonny,

At the end of the prologue the witches are calling to their familiars,
which are animals that a witch or wizard use as a roaming pair of eyes
and suchlike.

Thus, "Paddock" is a frog or toad, and "Graymalkin" is a grey cat.

"Puddock" or "puddy" is still a common word in Scots for a frog or toad.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/