LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.27 (04) [E]

Thu Sep 27 21:16:55 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 September 2007 - Volume 04

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.26 (02) [E/LS]

Dear Marcel & Ron:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Ron, you wrote:
"Mark, I wonder if this endearing -a you talked about is related to
traditional (and now apparently disappearing) -a added to monosyllabic or
abbreviated names of males in Low Saxon of Germany.  The best known of these
is Kalla for Karl (Charles); cf. Swedish Kalle for Karl.  In the ancient
days of my childhood I'd also hear forms like Willa ( ~ Willi) for Willem ~
Wilhelm (William) and Freda (~ Fredi) for Fredrich ~ Friedrich (Frederic)."

& Marcel, you wrote:
Very interesting!! So it is still a suffix, and a productive one! I
never expected this. It sounds rather exotic, but Low Saxon being one of the
languages that contributed to Afrikaans, we shouldn't rule out this European
origin of -a. Maybe the use was enhanced (or conserved) by the presence of
common Afrikaans words of non-Germanic origin, such as *kamma, abba,
hoeka/toeka* and *gogga*.

I'm with you there. In Afrikaans the emphesis seldom falls on the last
syllable of a word, & if I'm right this applies to most Lowlands languages.
The result is that ordinarily the vowel of an open or closed syllable
softens to a schwa '*hon*de', '*bê*re', '*bul*der', '*son*der', 'ge*was*se',
'*op*trede' & '*af*ge*son*der'. Yiddish of course falls under the same
Germanic regime, & also incidentelly the Ashkenazi dialect of Hebrew, so
changing eg 'Shab*bat*' to '*Sha*bes' & 'ma*zal*' to '*moz*zel'. I might add
this is a little limiting to a guy with poetic pretensions, that the rhyming
syllable is weak. The Koikoi loanwords, among them those you quote, stand
out like gems in a setting, two syllables, & both strong: Trochee.

From: Ron
The jury is still out on this one.

Come to think of it, we are quite likely dealing with -er instead of -a .
After all, they sound the same in most dialects, and this suffix is hardly
ever written and is merely approximated if it is.

So it might as well be Kaller instead of Kalla.

Thanks Ron. I really must make a point of first of all reading all of a
letter finished...

Yrs,
Mark