LL-L "Translation" 2008.04.05 (07) [E]

Sat Apr 5 23:55:38 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 05 April 2008 - Volume 07
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Translation

Mike, you quoted from the Nag Hamadi Gospel of Thomas:

"Be ye a passer-by!"

And I responded:

By the way, that line seems so profound to me that it covers the gamut of
entire philosophies, not so much "Don't get involved" in a "negative" sense
but more in the way of "Remember that you are not permanently earthbound." I
think one knows one is dealing with a good line when it seems to apply
across philosophical and religious boundaries.

I may have been on the right track, and I'm mentioning this in large part to
point out how misleading translations can be.

In the meantime I found the line:

Coptic:

πεϫε·ιϲ̅ ϫε·ϣϥπε ετετν̅·ρ̅·παργε

peje.IS. je.šwpe etetN.R.parage

lit. "said Js. this become as-ye-pass(away)"

For what it's worth, this is how *I* would translate it:

- Jesus said, "May you be(come) such that pass (away)."

Without wanting to go into much theological and philosophical detail, let me
just say that I understand this to mean that the disciples (and everyone
else) should acquire the mindset of those that are aware of the impermanence
of their physical being, of those that fully know they will die, can die at
any moment. In other words, they should think and act like sojourners, like
those that are traveling through, staying only for a while, without specific
attachment. To me at least, this is quite different from "passers-by" since
"passers-by" suggests remoteness. One that stays for a while is not
necessarily remote or outside. He or she may be involved without feeling
permanently attached. To me, this is one of the often overlooked and
misunderstood tenets that are identical or strikingly similar in
Christianity and Buddhism. Misunderstanding tends to lead to the
misconception that we are dealing with ascetic aloofness. In reality,
awareness of one's physical impermanence is seen as strength, as the
precondition for devoting oneself fully to serving others along the way.

P.S.: For those of you that don't already know this, Coptic is the final
developmental stage of the Egyptian language. It is written with a
Greek-based alphabet and is the liturgical language of Coptic Orthodox
Christianity. More information:
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/coptic-intro.php