LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.12 (04) [E]

Sun Apr 13 04:58:25 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 12 April 2008 - Volume 04
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.12 (01) [E]

 Beste Wim

Onderwerp: LL-L "Etymology"

From Mark Dreyer

Looking at another word with a 'LB' combination, "LaVaN" = 'White' in
Hebrew, also Jacob's father-in-law. Leven is yoghurt. Incidently, 'V' & 'B'
are _allophones?_ in the Semetic tongues. Lebenon of course was known (apart
from the ceders) for the snow-capped mountain peaks.
Making some no doubt reckless concessions about word-order, Ron, would this
be pertinent?

From Wim

Looking at all these words with "b l" combinations in them,

What about the alps, albinon, libanon, Belarus,
(all having to do with white rocks, or snow covered mountain tops.. or with
white, )

Yrs,
Mark

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Of course, guys, now we've got to be careful because we are starting to
assume metatheses: **b-l-* > **l-b-** > *-lb*. While this is by no means
impossible, we'd have to come up with a good set of proof.

Yes, Latin for white in *alb-* (as in *albino*), which would be at the other
extreme we're talking about.

Did the Romans mean "the white (land)" when the called Northern Britain *
Alba* (perhaps *terra alba* originally), later meaning 'Scotland"
specifically?

Many people do indeed believe that the name of the Alps refers to "white."
Others believe it came from a Celtic language spoken there long before the
arrival of the Romans.

Some believe that **bhal* is related to **bhae* 'shine', as in Sanskrit भानू
*bhānū* 'shine' and Celtic **b**ān* 'white' and **benn**ā* '(snowy) peak' (>
*ben*), and there are all those modern versions of Celtic **bal(l)* 'white
spotted' and **bl**ā**r* (cf. Dutch *blaar*) 'blaze' (also Welsh
*blawr*'iron-gray'). To this group belongs Celtic *
*bealtuinn* ("bright fire")* '*Beltane' as well

Wim, "Belarus" is clear: *bel-* mean 'white' in Slavic languages, and it's
related to this group.

But we have to get careful for we might get get carried away guessing. For
instance, you get the river name Elbe (German), Low Saxon *Elv'* ~ *Ilv'* (<
*Elve*), Sorbian *Łobjo*, Polish *Łaba*, Czech *Labe*,  Latin
*Albis*(Ptolemy). But let's not jump to the conclusion that there's a
connection
with the aforementioned group (though there *is* a *Bílé Labe* "White Elbe"
in the Czech Republic)! The name goes back to Germanic **alb-iz* 'riverbed',
as also found in Swedish *älv* 'deep river-bed', Middle Saxon
*elve*'riverbed', the Old English river name
*Ielf* and the Old Norse one *Elfr*.

Mark, yes, what you mentioned is one of those instances that has made many a
person wonder if there is a connection between Indo-European and
Afro-Asiatic.

Hebrew:
white: לָבָן *lābhān *> *lavan*
milk: חָלָבָ *ħālābh *> *xalav*

Aramaic:
milk: ܚܠܒܐ *ħālbā*

Arabic:
milk: حليب *ħalīb, *لبنیات *libnīyyat*

Lebanon:
Arabic: لبنان *Lubnān *(local dialect *Lubnēn*)
Aramaic ܠܒܢܐܢ *Labnān*
Hebrew: לבנון *Lebhanown* > *Levanon
*
It is generally accepted that Lebanon originally meant "white one."

But remember: we were talking about Indo-European **bhal*.

*
*