LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.15 (01) [E]

Tue Apr 15 14:19:05 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 15 April 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.14 (06) [E]

R/R asked:

So Indic *-t* became Romany *-l*. Right? I find this an interesting and rare
> shift. It can be observed in Korean, such as in Chinese loans ending with
> *-t* being *-l* in Modern Korean.

Indic dental stops do indeed become *l* ... medially. In initial position
they remain if non-retroflex, and become *r* if retroflex..

And yes you are right about the IE source; not cow (sic!) but sh*t ... only
now did one of the many Nepali derogatory expressions I learned many years
back spring to mind: *gu khane  (manche) *'sh*t eating (man)'.

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक || માઈક || ਮਾਈਕ
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India
++++++++++++++++
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
++++++++++++++++
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Mike.

I guess the shift *-t* > *-l* doesn't seem so strange when you consider the
intermediate step of retroflexion.

> I learned many years back spring to mind: *gu khane  (manche) *'sh*t
eating (man)'.

Well, isn't that just precious (as the SNL church lady used to say)? I take
it it wasn't being hurled in your direction. It couldn't have been.