LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.15 (02) [E]

Tue Apr 15 14:49:52 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 15 April 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Dear Lowlanders,

Happy 13th Anniversary!

Now that I have added a set of American ears to my collection, I notice
certain non-American English features or "quirks" more acutely when I hear
them. I'd love to get your thoughts and perhaps explanations on a couple of
them.

   1. The *-er-* in "pattern" is deleted, thus "pattn". Is this a part of
   a general rule? Isn't "Saturn" also pronounced "Sattn" by most?
   2. Many speakers of Australia, New Zealand and certain parts of
   England, and also of "good" England English, pronounce "brought" as "bought"
   (e.g. "My dad bought this back from Italy last year.") What's this one
   about?

Thanks for thinking about it and for sharing your ideas.

Because travel and busy preparation is involved I am deliberately early in
wishing all those that celebrate this lovely holiday very happy Passover
(פֶּסַח Pesach). *A gutn yontef aykh ale!* *Buen moed a todos!* Travel
carefully, and enjoy your family gatherings! I for one will be thinking of
you.